Project Officer, Information and Communication
Enhancing smallholders' accessibility to timber legality and trade for effective
implementation of Volunteer Partnership Agreement process in Thailand
RECOFTC, Thailand Country Program
Application Deadline: 27th September 2016
RECOFTC – The Center for People and Forests holds a unique and important place in the world of forestry. It is the only international not-for-profit organization that specializes in developing capacity for community forestry and devolved forest management. With over 25 years of international experience and a dynamic approach to capacity development - involving research and analysis, demonstration sites, and training products and services - RECOFTC delivers innovative solutions for people and forests.
In recent years, the organization has established Country Programs in Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand and Viet Nam, with its headquarters in Thailand. The Center’s work focuses on the four thematic areas of: securing community forestry; enhancing livelihoods and markets; people, forests and climate change; and transforming forest conflict; for developing capacities for community forestry at all levels.
RECOFTC is currently seeking a Project Officer, Information and Communication, Enhancing smallholders' accessibility to timber legality and trade for effective implementation of Volunteer Partnership Agreement process in Thailand, under Thailand Country Program. The successful applicant will be based at Thailand Country Program, Bangkok. The contract duration is for 10 months starting from October 2016.
The Enhancing smallholders' accessibility to timber legality and trade for effective implementation of VPA process in Thailand Project is a twelve-month project supported by FAO. The project aims to develop informed and consolidated legality recommendations to effectively address the legal and tenure challenges of the EU-Thailand FLEGT VPA implementation in Thailand and to strengthen smallholders’ including women and youth’s access and capacity to participate in legal timber trade. S/he will hold a role to ensure that the project’s expected results are effectively delivered satisfactorily and within the agreed timeline.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Project Officer, Information and Communication, will work under the supervision of the RECOFTC Thailand Country Program (TCP) Coordinator. His/her main role is to implement project activities according to the project’s scope by focusing on information development and knowledge management and ensure that the project’s expected results are effectively produced. The duration of employment is ten months.
The main tasks of the Project Officer, Information and Communication, will include but not be limited to the following:
- Develop and implement communication strategy and workplan according to the project objectives
- Document discussions in consultation workshops and related meetings on legal and tenure improvement for enhancing smallholders’ accessibility to timber legality and trade.
- Support the Project Officer, Networking , in organizing and facilitating multi-stakeholder workshops and meetings on legal and tenure improvement for enhancing smallholders’ accessibility to timber legality and trade.
- Coordinate research on land tenure commission and support background research on related forest and land policies and laws
- Coordinate documentation of the project’s piloting experiences
- Lead on production and dissemination of communication products
- Monitor and analyze news and policies relating to FLEGT and forest governance and facilitate information sharing among Thai CSOs FLEGT network and interested stakeholders through social media and other communication channels
- Prepare progress reports of the project in Thai and provide support in project milestones monitoring
- Responsible in M&E data input and record on TEIS – Training and Events Info System based on the Country Program Monitoring and Evaluation Plan;
- Perform any other task as assigned by the TCP Coordinator
QUALIFCIATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The Project Information Officer will have the following essential qualifications and experience
- Bachelor Degree (or higher) in Natural Resource Management, Communication or related fields
- At least three years experience in community based work or in communication
- Proven experience in research and report writing
- Experience in developing communication strategies and plans
- Experience in producing content for different audiences and platforms/tools, including social media posts, website articles, publications, video scripts, etc.
- Good understanding of forest governance issues in Thailand
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, media and using web-based applications
- Good English skills, with excellent Thai writing skills
- Result oriented, able to meet datelines
- Proven understanding of forestry and land tenure laws and policies
- Experience in facilitating meeting and networking
- Independent with time management skills
- Strong interest in reading and research for knowledge improvement
- Willingness to travel
In addition to job specific skills and experience, the applicant should possess the following characteristics (including attitudes and skills)
- Interpersonal communication skills, individually and in‐groups, with an ability to work as an active member of teams. This implies flexibility and open‐mindedness;
- Possess leadership personality, and able to take on and solve problems quickly and efficiently;
- Hands‐on experience and able to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Initiative and ability to make informed independent judgments (which is not inconsistent with an overall team approach);
- Ability to work in a variety of cultural and institutional contexts.
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV and a cover letter indicating why they are suitable for this position along with salary requirements and current contact details of three referees, including recent supervisors to email@example.com. Please quote the position title in the subject line as Project Officer, Information and Communication, FLEGT of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. RECOFTC has a competitive compensation package. However, offers shall be based on salary history, relevant experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
To learn more about RECOFTC, please visit our website www.recoftc.org
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. RECOFTC is an equal opportunity employer and the successful candidate will be selected based on merit.
Note: RECOFTC retains the right to offer the position at a certain grade dependent on qualifications and experience required by the position.